Undergraduate Practicum Information
The practicum opportunity is designed to provide practical experience for Sport Management majors. Students will maintain a part-time workload in a setting appropriate to their specialization such as athletic programs, sports commissions, and sports agencies where significant learning possibilities exist. Through a practical experience such as this, the efficient application of knowledge, ideas, and skills in a realistic work setting can begin to occur. With this, both the student and the site should benefit immeasurably.
The major objectives for the Sport Management practicum experience are to enable the student to:
- Begin applying the knowledge and skills attained in the campus setting to specific practical sport management issues in the workplace, and
- Contribute significantly to the activities, events, and projects of the site.
Below are examples of activities, events, and projects appropriate to Sport Management. Each site should include the responsibility of needs assessment, planning, implementing, and evaluating activities, events and projects throughout the semester under the supervision of the site.
Provided is a list of many, but not all, opportunities that can be or should be offered by a site:
- Special event development, organization, and presentation
- Promotional development and distribution
- Sport media development, distribution and historical retention
- Bid proposals and presentations
- Administration of daily operations
- Facility tours
Please direct all practicum forms and questions to:
Douglas DeMichele, ED.D
Department of Tourism, Recreation and Sport Management
PO Box 118208
Gainesville, FL 32611-8208