Recreation, Parks and Tourism
The Department will no longer be offering a specific degree in RPT however, students are encouraged to consider the Tourism and Recreation Management degree (TRM) as an updated alternative. The TRM degree provides coursework focused on specializations in Tourism, Tourism Analytics, Destination Development and Crisis Management and Natural Resource Recreation; greater detail about each program may be found here. Students who are currently enrolled in the RPT program will be able to graduate with this degree.
The Master of Science in Recreation, Parks and Tourism offers the following two concentrations and one specialization:
1. Tourism Concentration
- Travel activities to and staying outside one’s usual environment; hospitality, transportation
- Recreation activities covered by fees, charges or other non-tax revenues; theme/amusement/water parks, movie theaters, sport/fitness/health clubs, golf courses
- Examples of employers include: travel agencies, cruise lines, dance studios, special event companies, resorts, multipurpose sports clubs and health & fitness clubs
2. Natural Resource Recreation Concentration
- Park(s) management, protected areas, wilderness conservation
- State parks, river floating, horseback riding, hiking trails
- Beach management, erosion from visitors, sustainability
- Outdoor recreation leadership
- Conservation management, planning, and policy
3. Recreation Administration and Supervision Specialization
- City/state public parks
- City pools
- City skate parks, family parks
- Public tennis courts
- City sports teams/leagues, youth sports
- Organized camps
- Federal agencies (National Parks, U.S. Army Corp of Engineers)
- Military recreation departments (Morale, Welfare & Recreation [MWR] programs)
Graduates of the Master of Science in Recreation, Parks & Tourism will be trained for middle and/or upper level management positions, in their respective fields mentioned above.
Students can choose between three options: 1.) Thesis, or 2.) Non-Thesis Internship, or 3.) Non-Thesis with Paper.